I know, Dad. I Know.

 

Over the past few months I have been struck with Genesis 1. Yes, most people know the intro, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.". If you were blessed enough to grow up with a grandpa like mine you were even told that baseball was the first sport in the Bible. 

You know... in the big inning...

But lately I have been thinking about Genesis 1, because the reality is that it really wasn't the beginning, it was our beginning. There is a whole story line that we are not told. By this point Lucifer was cast from heaven. We know this because he was who presented himself to Eve as a serpent in Genesis 3

But even after Lucifer was cast out of heaven conversations were being had and things were taking place. God and Jesus were close from the beginning of time, they are Father and Son. We were even created in their image and their likeness. This means that Jesus played a vital part in creation. Because of this fact, I'm sure that they had a conversation of what would transpire over the next few days. 

Creation.

I often wonder how that conversation went. God knew we were going to sin if He created us of free will. He knew that meant that His One and Only Son would have to die. 

Jesus did too. 

Yet, He still wanted us.

I imagine the conversation taking place much like the picture above. 

Them, arm in arm looking over their 5 days of creation. The light and darkness, the water and sky, the sun and moon and stars, the vegetation, and all of the animals in the water and on land. I picture Jesus and God side by side, neither one looking at the other but rather at what was just created. 

God breaks the silence, "If I make mankind, one day You will die for them to be with Me as You are with Me right now."

Jesus responds, looking straight ahead, "I know, Dad. I know." 

That phrase brings tears to my eyes. God knew that in order to have us He would have to watch His Son be killed.  In order to have us he would have to lose Him

Jesus knew that, too.

That was something that God found worth it. 

He found us worth it.

He found you worth it.

I cannot even fathom the feelings that Jesus must have had. Was He scared? 

The reality is that I will never know how that conversation went on this side of heaven. I think the closest we will ever get is in Matthew 26:36-46 when Jesus was in the garden of Gethsemane. 

My deepest desire is that when I do see my Savior face to face that I can walk with him beside the sea of glass and ask Him. 

Thank Him. 

All I do know that He gave His life to give me mine, and for that I am forever grateful. 


Matthew 26:36-46

"Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, 'Sit here while I go over there and pray.' He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and He began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then He said to them, 'My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.'

Going a little farther, He fell with his face to the ground and prayed, 'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from Me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.'

Then He returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. 'Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?' He asked Peter. 'Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.'

He went away a second time and prayed, 'My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.'

When He came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So He left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

Then He returned to the disciples and said to them, 'Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!'"



Jesus, Thank You - Sovereign Grace Worship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHp8eThI2qk

Comments

Popular Posts